Wednesday, June 15, 2011

MIAMI: POETRY BY KARINA GARCIA

Miami
Some call her "The Magic City"
Some say she's the "City of Lights"
I'd say that's more like downtown at night.
It's a City that never sleeps
There's usually always someplace open to eat
She's filled with so many beautiful sights
From her international airport depart many flights
As Miami is the only connection between the U.S. and many nations.

So many cultures intertwined
Language barriers cause strangers to collide
It's how we struggle to survive
Its culture is what keeps our City alive
There are two lines that come to mind that when said strangers unwind as it makes no difference what language you speak Miami they define:
"Welcome to Miami" and "I Love U Miami" the first made famous by Will Smith (a famous American Hollywood star) and the latter by Livan Hernandez (a Cuban born baseball player) when he came to play baseball for the Marlins.

Miami
She's been my only home
Her City Streets I've Roamed
Sometimes Alone
I've wanted to leave her for some time and now she is the subject of this rhyme
As love for her I don't deny after all she is the City of my conception & my birth.

From Hialeah to Miami Lakes,
Miami Springs to Miami Shores,
Sweetwater to Westchester
South Miami to West Kendall
Coral Gables to Coconut Grove
Homestead to Cutler Ridge
All the way to the Biscayne Bridge
So many more little cities to mention wanting to have their own identity
But in reality it's Miami all the same and yes that includes you the residents of Key Biscayne

Continuously changing at rapid speeds it’s how we residents sometimes find it hard to leave. However for me I say the more things change the more they really stay the same.

Watching the sunrise & the sunset are her sights you never forget many Nights & Mornings I don't regret.

As I travel through the city's streets taking in all of the beautiful Miami beats I move my feet to the sounds and rhythms and feel the city’s hypnotisms. A city so methodical with its people trying to be so logical, perhaps it’s biological but take the time to read the daily periodical. A city filled with so much art, poetry, music, film and everything your heart can desire yet so very few are conscious and aware enough to admire. Take a minute and stop and smell the flowers it’ll fulfill your days every hour.

Miami
As beautiful as you are
Now here we are
Just you and me and maybe the sound of the rain and the trees
I love you as you love me as with you I’ve endured and shared many scars
Some which have yet to heal as they’re not the kind that can be healed by just sharing a drink at the bar
I’ve imagined loving you from afar even with as beautiful as you are

The number 3 has been good to you and me but it’s also come with toxicity it exists in every City but lately it’s become less pretty I’m starting to feel some sort of pity
Approaching 33 as this year I will be this toxicity is closing in on me to the point where I can’t breathe and the only cure may be to break free of this bond we share you and me my City.

Miami
I think the time’s approaching where it’s time for me to leave as there are dreams I must achieve
It’s not you I want to leave it’s your toxicity that’s killing me no matter what others perceive
I know I must one day leave
Next year I don’t know where I’ll be but Miami you’ll always be home to me.

From Hialeah to Miami Lakes,
Miami Springs to Miami Shores,
Sweetwater to Westchester
South Miami to West Kendall
Coral Gables to Coconut Grove
Homestead to Cutler Ridge
All the way to the Biscayne Bridge
So many more little cities to mention wanting to have their own identity
But in reality it's Miami all the same and yes that includes you the residents of Key Biscayne

No comments:

Post a Comment